Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Persuasion Techniques



Over the years I've seen tampon commercials grow from almost non-existent to everywhere. I personally think that tampon, condom, birth control and all those kind of commercials are so awkward. I just want to change the channel or look away when I see them. The Kotex commercial I chose on the other hand just makes me laugh because it's a mock of the other tampon commercials. In the commercial they show clips of other tampon commercial ads and in a pretty sarcastic way there is a "typical girl" talking about how her period makes her want to do all these things. I like how someone finally pointed out how dramatic the other commercials are even though they are still just using the same persuasive tricks on us.

I chose this ad because it's perfect for picking apart and deconstructing. There are so many persuasive techniques in it. Right off the bat I felt like I could relate and I was struck with laughter.
Association: Any female who uses tampons can relate to this girl because we've all seen the other commercials. Not to mention a lot of us are thinking what she's talking about in this ad.

Bandwagon: The bandwagon technique that I see is the implied "everyone feels so bubbly on their period". It's somewhat saying if you use this you'll be so happy on your period.
Humor: The whole ad is based off sarcasm and comedy. It's a commercial that's making fun of how ridiculous other tampon ads are so there is definitely a humor factor.
Intensity: "Me and my period, we're like this", she says as she crosses her fingers... Right in the beginning of the commercial you can see the intensity of it. She's very dramatic and over the top in a very nonchalant way.
Plain Folk: It's easy to relate, they use an "average" looking girl, the setting she's in is her room, etc.. The ad is very plain folk so that girls all over could see themselves using Kotex.
Warm & Fuzzy: In a strange way it's warm and fuzzy because even when you have your period you are free be flexible, dance, play, etc..

2 comments:

  1. This is a really funny commercial! I love the sarcasm. Excellent job deconstructing the ad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That commercial is hilarious! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete