Thursday, March 4, 2010

Downloading

Now that downloading has become so common I don’t even think twice about doing it. We can download music, movies, software and even games. First of all, downloading is easy to do. It does have some benefits and other negative consequences but some find it worth it. A lot of Americans download music although it is illegal to do so.

Downloading is actually a very easy thing to do, considering it used to not be a possibility. Instead of physically going to the store we can now get what we want online in the comforts of our home. With a simple membership we can download all the free songs we want and sometimes we don’t even have to create an account. With one click it begins to download and is soon yours to keep. There are options to download a whole album or just certain tracks which is also convenient.

When downloading online we get to experience something we might not otherwise in stores. There are a lot of underground artists that aren’t commonly sold. I have found a lot of artists by browsing online that I doubt I would have heard of elsewhere. It can be really difficult to find smaller bands in stores because the racks are packed with records that are likely to sell and bring in profit since there is such high competition. When we browse online it gives us the opportunity to check out the songs before downloading too.

It greatly affects artist when we don’t purchase their albums. They work countless hours putting together their CD and it’s got to be disappointing to know that people carelessly rip you off. Sometimes I don’t really think about downloading from famous artist’s because they are already so rich as it is. I do feel guilty though when I download less popular artist’s music. They aren’t as widely known and it’s harder for them to receive profit.

Although technology has benefited artists to get their music out there it has also backfired on them immensely. I would personally be really outraged if I was losing money because of illegal downloading. I probably would do all I could to change it and prevent it from happening. I’m sure I would have every teenager hating me because of the consequences I would try to get the government to enforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment