Sunday, March 21, 2010

Your vote

VOTE OR DIE! As a woman living in America, I feel very privileged to have the right to vote. We’re in a time much different from the past and I’m honored that one day I will be able to pledge my vote. Everyone wants their opinions heard so I wonder why people don’t participate in voting. The person elected is going to make decisions that affect them personally so to me it seems like a no-brainer. We do have the power to make change happen! For example, the election of President Obama.

It was nearly impossible to avoid last year’s presidential election. With Bush finally about to be out of office, everyone was pumped to learn more about the potential candidates. Regardless the hype, I didn’t really follow the election as well as I could have. The talk I heard around my town was, “We either get a black guy or another stinkin’ republican.” Growing up my mother was a democrat and my father a republican and with the opportunity to learn more about each I would consider myself a democrat if I had to choose a party.

Although I do feel that many people voted Obama for wrong reasons, I would have chosen to vote in his favor as well. It seemed that no matter what his views were everyone loved him and we put a lot of faith in him. Some chose to vote Obama just because he was black and they wanted diversity in the white house. Who knows, it could have been years till the first African American president. Then on the other hand, many people chose not vote McCain just because he’s republican. It all goes back to image. I honestly don’t think that the majority of people casted their vote off of reasoning but either way, now we have Obama as our president and it is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment